Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mental Running Block and More Cool Tri-Tech

Week Two of training is going fine, working mostly on cross-training (rowing) and running, last week it was running and biking. My wife (the poster of the previous blog on Cross-training) will post on pregnancy and training this week.  I might start swimming, but the cold weather blocks my swimming mindset.

As readers will find out I (the husband of the two of Tris), really have trouble enjoying the run portion of the triathlon and loathe it during training.  It's a mental thing, I'm sure, but maybe some reader can help me out on this.  What am I supposed to be thinking about when I'm running to pass time on a treadmill...I don't listen to an iPod since it's not allowed on most races.  I find getting to 20-30 minutes completely agonizing, it's marginally better if I run outside.  I have a lot of room for improvement.

On to the Tech:

(Used with Permission of Yankz!)

Yankz! TriathlonBAGs:  I asked for one of these last year, and it is the best all-around tri-bag I've found period.  They are designed to stand up for easy access at the transition.  I got the Apollo Size ($70.00), which I liked because of it's got every feature I need in a compact size.   My wife liked the design so much she wanted one of her own! They come in four styles , the other models are Zeus ($150) and T2 ($120) both of these models offer more features than the Apollo (like separate wetbag and laptop case).  These were equally cool, but I like to minimize my stuff at the transition to cut down on time and confusion.   The traditional ($95) is their original design.   Definitely check these out, make sure you click on the picture of the bags to get the 360 view!

Speedo Vanquisher Goggle:  I became a fan of these goggles last season.  For swimming these mirrored smoke-colored goggles keep out the sun and did very well in the cloudier races as well.  The seal is great and the adjustment is all that a swimmer needs.  My indoor swimming goggles are the Speedo Sprint, which I have used for over 20 years.  I like the clear variety in the Sprints because it offers the best field of vision, and the foam eye seal is soft on the sockets.  Both varieties have silicone straps.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comments about the Vibram 5 finger running shoes (can you call them running shoes?). I will be checking them out hopefully at a running expo the last week of Feb. I love reading about other peoples favorite gear. I recently commented on another blog (http://annettesasylum.blogspot.com/) about how she inspired me to do a blog entry soon on what my favorite gear is and now you have...so maybe i'll do that sometime this week. I haven't tried the Speedo Vanquisher goggles but love my very basic Speedo one's that I have had for about 5 years!

    ReplyDelete