Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Uber Single Sport Athlete vs. The Triathlete

I work in a very large office building with a world-class gym.  Unlike a lot of gyms, this workout place is frequented by very fit people and very few workout beginners.   Watching people pushing 6 minute miles on the treadmill for an hour, or bench-pressing 400 lbs or doing 1000 sit-ups with a 15 lb medicine ball does not help me focus on training.  I don't feel intimidated, but I feel like do feel like a weakling sometimes.

I do think there is a silver lining however, as triathletes (even recreational ones), I think we all have one up on most of these uber-fit individuals.  I notice that 99% of these fanatical lifters, runners, or aerobics lovers definitely do not train in the other tri-sports.  That makes me feel pretty good.

All triathletes go outside their comfort zones every week in practice and racing whether it's in a sport we're not the best at or challenging ourselves at long distances (for all you Iron-people and Iron-people in training).  I have found this mindset absent athletes who just do just running races, swimming, or cycling.  The more I participate in "triathletism" the more I believe that triathletes don't take comfort zones for granted.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment