Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Benefits of Cross-Training

As a caveat, I (the previously named contestant #2) am not a certified personal trainer. But, over the course of my athletic career I have seen tremendous benefit and improved athletic performance from cross-training my body.

With regards to triathlon, cross-training does not simply mean focusing solely on the three disciplines of swim, bike, and run. Yes, that is technically a form of cross-training and it is obviously necessary to train all three legs in order to complete a race. However, the exercises that you engage in outside of these three will likely result in improved flexibility, muscular strength and endurance, and overall performance.

Cardiovascular Work

I'm not going to talk much about any cardio training because I find I get enough cardio work from my training. The only thing I will say is that interval work, for all three tri disciplines, does help with speed and endurance.

Improving Muscular Strength

Even during race season, I regularly take a sports conditioning class that usually involves weight lifting and weight lift at least one additional day per week. Personally I find weight lifting really helps me in my tri training. The sports conditioning classes I take at The Energy Gym in Arlington are great because it truly is a full body workout - we use everything from our own body weight to resistance bands to medicine balls to kettlebells to body bars. The class focuses on strength, endurance, cardiovascular fitness, and plyometrics. At the end of an hour, we are all usually pretty exhausted (but in a good way). The great thing about this class and others like it is that you notice improvements relatively quickly if you go on a regular basis.

CrossFit is the newest and greatest form of cross-training that works your cardio fitness while improving strength and endurance. The exercise routines are extremely challenging, but I promise you will get into great shape by doing them. To learn more, go here to Crossfit.com.

Improving Flexibility

Now that we're all getting stronger, it's important to not lose flexibility in your muscles. I am a fan of yoga and I find it helps keep my muscles limber during the training season. Now I know not everyone likes yoga, but some sort of stretching routine is important during your training and will contribute to overall muscular health. Tight muscles that cramp, strain or pull easily do not serve anyone well on race day.

I want to focus for a moment on one particular piece of equipment - resistance bands. As a former collegiate swimmer, contestant #1 introduced me to some resistance bands exercises that target shoulder strength and flexibility. Doing three sets of a few simple exercises will help keep your shoulder muscles flexible during the rigors of training and most importantly, serve as a way to prevent injuries.

Core Strength

Never to be neglected, the core is the epicenter of athletic performance. Strong abdominal and back muscles are not only going to help you in your tri training, but they're extremely important in every day life. Be sure to work your abs and back equally so there's a balance of strength. I particularly like full sit-ups with a medicine ball - you hold the ball over your head and then sit all the way up and touch ball to the ground. For my back, I like Supermans - lie on your stomach and lift your arms and legs at the same time. You'll feel the burn. You can also alternate your left and right side. Of course a great exercise that works your abs and back at the same time is the plank - either resting on your hands or forearms with your body straight and on your toes. Be sure to not shoot the moon and keep your butt down.

Recovery

I take at least one day off per week, sometimes two. I need to let me body recover and I can tell when my muscles are fatigued. I know some gym rats hate the thought of a day off, but I've had numerous trainers tell me that recovery can play a crucial role in overall athletic performance. The worst thing to do is overtrain your body heading into a race.

1 comment:

  1. hi there! i saw your post on BT and came over to visit your blog. sounds great and i look forward to following you, your wife, and a baby. good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete