Monday, February 22, 2010

Not-so-Fairweather (Gym) Patriots - Observances from the NY Times

 I saw this article while I was browsing the NY Times today in search of real news.  It talks about how frustrated people get when all those people trying to make good on their New Year's work out resolution.  The whole point, as I interpret these folks, is that too many people do nothing at the gym but listen to iPods, talk on cell phones and hoard their favorite dumbbells.  And, not only that, they come and clog the gym during January and February with unrealistic visions of bikini bods dancing in their heads.

First, I think if people get to the gym, even if it's for a couple of months, give them credit.  Tens of millions don't get off their couch every year.  Also,  as a person who takes a bit of hiatus after the tri season, I showed up in January to begin training for races in the spring.  Since I'm not an Ironman-in-training, I think taking a couple of months off  from October-December gives me some free time, which I look forward to.

Second, I don't use an iPod in training since most tris don't allow them during the race, but  it's hard to occupy time on a treadmill or a stationary bike without sweet, sweet Barry Manilow.   I definitely think it's fine to listen to whatever to get you moving, as long as I can't hear it.

I agree with the position of the authors on the whole commandeering equipment thing.   Look, if your not using it, then don't claim it.  I also can't understand why people have their favorite bike, treadmill, or "place" in the gym...my view is that we're all adults, so just deal if someone gets on that 20 year old Lifecycle.

I guess the gym I go to is huge, and when I go I'm focused on getting it done, not on what others are doing to waste their time or use it fruitfully.

Do these traits described in the NYT articles happen frequently, maybe I'm just not aware?

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment