Sunday, February 14, 2010

NBC, the Olympics, and "Live" sports

I've been watching the Olympics on NBC today and I've noticed that they're airing the sports about 30 minutes behind "live".  The specific event I'm talking about is the men's moguls.   They even posted the results on their facebook fan page before they aired it.  I find this (not airing the event live) totally annoying, and I hope NBC fixes this.  I'm an east coastie, only 3 time zones away from the games.  There is no reason they can't air it live on one of their 4-5 networks, if they want to show the sport on TV.   I get if they don't want to show some sports, but if they choose to show it, then show it LIVE! 

 The world can follow the results online, and most of the world can follow these sports live on television stations in their countries.  Why can't the US media allow its viewers to do the same?  I think there are $785 million (US) reasons why.

In a way, I think it's a tribute to the fact that NBC lost money on these Olympics.  I  think most Americans don't understand this broadcast model and are frustrated by it.  Unfortunately, it's become a habit of US media since the late 1980s. I can't wait for the day the United States television networks choose to air Olympic events live, regardless of the time zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment